Address: Universitätsring 2, 1010 Wien
Phone: +43 1 514444140
The Vienna Burgtheater combines the following branches: Lobby, Academy, Casino. The permanent troupe has more than a hundred actors. The court theater was established in 1741 after the decree of the Empress Maria Theresa. The famous Burgtheater was opened in 1748 on May 14.
Since its opening, the French repertoire has dominated the theater, Italian and French troupes regularly performed. The greatest attention was given to opera and ballet. Since 1761, the German troupe began performing in the theater, and already in 1771 it became the only one in the Burgtheater, and the rest were dissolved.
The very first dramatists of the Burgtheater were his actors (Muller, Stephanie), who created topical themes from secular and urban life. The main repertoire of the Burgtheater in the first decades of its existence was comedy jokes.
In 1794, the theater was renamed Hofburg. In October 1888, the theater was moved to Ringstrasse Boulevard. The facade of the theater has become its majesty, a luxury to attract many tourists. During World War II, the theater was badly damaged, and the troupe temporarily moved to the variety theater Etablissement Ronacher. The Burgtheater was able to return to its building only after restoration in 1955.
By the way, do not forget to book apartments in Vienna on our portal.
The Burgtheater, which opened in 1748 at the behest of Maria Theresa, became the second theater in Europe after the Parisian Comedy Frances. In the first years of its existence, it bore the name of the Royal Theater at the Palace. The French repertoire reigned on the stage; opera and ballet troupes from France and Italy performed.
The first German-speaking troupe appeared on these stages in 1761. Ten years later, only German actors played in the theater. The plays for the productions at that time were written by the members of the troupe themselves. Since 1794, the theater has a new name - Hofburg Court Theater. The premieres of Mozert’s operas “Abduction from the Seraglio” (1782), “The Marriage of Figaro” (1786), “Everybody Does That” (1790) took place here.
New Burgtheater Building
A growing successful troupe required a larger, roomier, and modern building. The project of the new theater was developed by architects G. Semper and K. Hassenauer. The Burgtheater building was built in front of the City Hall. It adorned the front line of the magnificent buildings of the Ringstrasse ensemble.
On October 14, 1888, the Burgtheater opened its doors to the public. The main facade of the Renaissance building stood forward in a grand semicircle. On two sides of it stood two symmetrical wings. The entrance portal was fenced with a two-story loggia, the attics were crowned with statues of muses and ancient gods, the facades were decorated with mythological bas-reliefs and busts of famous playwrights.
The interiors of the building were decorated in the spirit of French Baroque with an abundance of velvet and gilding. Gustav Klimt and his brother Ernst, as well as artist Franz Match, painted the stairwells and foyer. Gustav Klimt recreated the ancient theater in the Sicilian Taormina in the mural of the entrance from the Landtmann cafe. The staircase from the side of Volkswagen was painted with images of the London Globe Theater and the final scene of the Romeo and Juliet (in the background of this picture the artist immortalized himself and his two colleagues).
In 1945, the theater building was destroyed by bombing. Fortunately, staircases with the works of Klimt were preserved from him. After restoration, the Burgtheater opened in 1955 with the premiere of Franz Grilparzer’s drama “The Greatness and Fall of King Ottokar”.
Today the theater unites three branches: Akademietheater, Kasino, Vestibül. The building is equipped with the perfect technology. The hall has 1340 seats, the stage occupies 780 m². The repertoire is based on the classical drama of German and foreign authors, and opera performances are also held here.
During the theater season, guided tours of the Burgtheater are held.
The theater is made in the Italian style of the high Renaissance. The facade of the theater is decorated with numerous sculptures. The central figure depicts a seated Apollo with the Muses of Melpomene (Muse of Tragedy) and Thalia (Muse of Comedy) on either side of it. Below the figures, a large frieze is made with images of Bacchus and Ariadne, created by Rudolf Weier. Corinthian pilasters and columns frame the windows that crown the busts of famous writers such as Moliere, Shakespeare, Goethe and Schiller. The balustrades are decorated with figurines, each of which plays on early musical instruments.
The Burgtheater building was erected from 1874 to 1888, when there was active development of the newly appeared Ringstrasse. In parallel, the nearby City Hall and the Vienna Opera were built.
Prior to this, the theater troupe performed in an old building near Hofburg. However, with the expansion of the repertoire and the increase in the number of actors, she needed a new "house", and then it was decided to build a separate palace. The emperor commissioned its design to the famous architects Gottfried Zemper and Karl Hazenauer.
In the fall of 1888, the new Burgtheater opened its doors to the first spectators. After that, until the Second World War, he successfully worked, but in 1945 he fell under the bombing and received serious damage. Only parts of the walls with stairwells painted by Gustav Klimt survived. A decade later, the building was rebuilt, and in 1955 the largest theater in Austria resumed its work.
How to get there
The Burgtheater is located in the historical part of the city, which is easily accessible by public transport:
The exact address: Universitätsring 2, 1010 Wien.
Underground:on the purple branch to the Rathaus station.
On foot:walk 9 minutes through Rathaus Park to the Burgtheater.
Tram:Routes 1, 71 and D to the Burgtheater stop.
- There is a legend that the empress Maria Theresa came up with the idea of organizing a court troupe almost by accident - she noticed that one of the halls of the palace was empty, and decided to find him a worthy application.
- For the first time, Mozart’s great works, The Marriage of Figaro and The Abduction from the Seraglio, as well as one of his last operas All Women Do This, were first staged at the Burgtheater.
- One of the first actors of this theater was the legendary Joseph Kainz, who became famous for his non-standard interpretation of the image of Hamlet (in his performance the Shakespearean hero became more direct and humane).
- In the repertoire of the Burgtheater there are several productions based on Russian classics - the works of L. Tolstoy. F. Dostoevsky, A. Griboedov, A. Chekhov.
Opening hours and ticket prices
The ticket office is open from 08:00 to 18:00 from Monday to Friday.
On weekends and holidays, working hours are from 09:00 to 14:00. The theater is closed in July and August.
- Sunday to Thursday - from 7 (
496 rub ) up to 59 euros (
4 181 rub. ), Friday and Saturday - from 7.5 (
531 rub ) up to 61 euros (
From September 1 to June 30, excursions are held every day at 15:00 in the palace-theater, where it is allowed to inspect its interior, take photos and shoot videos.
Price of tickets for the tour:
- Adult - 7 euros (
496 rub ), Children and student - 3.5 euros (
248 RUB ), For persons of retirement age - 6 euros (
Up-to-date information is available on the website.
A visit to the Burgtheater is easy to combine with sightseeing. You can take a walk along the Ringstrasse and admire the buildings of the Town Hall, the Vienna Opera, the Imperial Hotel, the Hofburg Palace complex. Art lovers can visit the Academy of Fine Arts, and nature lovers can go boating in the Volksgarten park or wander along the Stadtpark paths. The most famous theater in Austria is located in that part of Vienna, where at every step there will be something interesting and worthy of attention.