Travel

Brest sights

Vkontakte
Pinterest




The first mention of Brest as a fortification of artisans dates back to the beginning of the 11th century. Over many centuries, the settlement has repeatedly changed its owners, was destroyed and rebuilt from ruins. Here you will see architectural monuments of the Early Middle Ages, Polish churches, Orthodox churches, cozy streets and embankments.

The most famous landmark of the city, where all tourists certainly go, is the famous Brest Fortress. Her defenders at the beginning of the Second World War showed extreme heroism in an unequal battle with the German army. Today, the fortification houses a museum complex dedicated to the events of those years.

Just 65 km from Brest is Belovezhskaya Pushcha - a fabulous oak forest where you can meet the enormous Belarusian bison. You can go there after visiting numerous city museums and take a break from tiring excursions.

What to see and where to go in Brest?

The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a brief description.

1. Brest Fortress

The fortified citadel, built on the site of the Brest Castle in 1833. The construction consists of a number of barracks of red brick, walls of two meters thickness and the central citadel. In 1913, the second ring of defensive structures was erected. By the beginning of World War I, the fortress was considered one of the most impregnable in Europe. June 22, 1941 she took upon herself one of the first attacks of German troops. In 1965 she received the title Hero Fortress.

2. Monument "Courage"

Monument to the defenders of the Brest Fortress, designed by the Moscow architect A.P. Kibalnikov and erected on the Ceremonial Square in 1971. In height, the grandiose monument reaches 36 meters, in length - 54 meters. He depicts a bust of a fighter with a determined and frowning face against the backdrop of the Soviet banner, ready to resist the onslaught of the invaders to the end. In front of the sculpture is the grave of 850 defenders of the fortress.

3. The Thirst Monument

Another memorial in memory of the defenders of the Brest Fortress, which produces a powerful emotional impression. On the first day of the siege, the Germans disabled the water supply system, and Soviet soldiers were forced to fight in painful thirst, as the remaining water was used to cool machine guns. In an attempt to get at least some precious buckets of water in the river captured by the enemy, many soldiers died.

4. St. Nicholas Garrison Cathedral

An Orthodox church on the territory of the Brest Fortress, built in the Byzantine style in the middle of the XIX century. At the beginning of the 20th century, when Brest was part of Poland, it was turned into a church. During the Second World War, the construction was quite badly damaged. In 1972 it was mothballed, and in 1994 it was returned to believers. Restoration work continued for many years and was completed only in 2005.

5. The 5th Fort Museum

At the beginning of the 20th century, a brick fort was part of the defenses of the Brest-Litovsk fortress. There were barracks, walls, a moat filled with water. During the years of German occupation, warehouses were placed on its territory. In 1995, the building was recognized as a cultural monument, in 1997 it was restored. In 2000, a museum was organized on the territory of the fort dedicated to the history of the Brest Fortress.

6. Museum of Defense of the Brest Fortress

The museum is located in a restored building of the former barracks. It opened in 1956 at the base of the room of military glory. The collection consists of materials and exhibits telling about the defense of the Brest Fortress: weapons, archival documents, photographs - more than 8 thousand items in 9 rooms in total. The surviving defenders of the citadel took part in the creation of the exhibition.

7. "Berestye"

Archaeological exhibition, founded in 1982 at the excavation site. The basis of the collection consists of finds discovered on the territory of the XIII century ancient settlement, including residential and farm buildings, raised from a depth of 4 meters and restored according to the historical appearance. In "Berestye" you can learn a lot about the traditional way of life of the Slavs, look at objects that were in use many centuries ago.

8. Sovetskaya street

Sovetskaya Street is often called the "Brest Arbat". After reconstruction in 2009, it turned into a favorite place for citizens to walk and a must-see destination for tourists. Along the alley are the picturesque facades of stone manors of the early 20th century, restaurants, flower beds, rows of wrought iron lamps, small city sculptures. The length of the street is about 1.7 km.

9. Forged Lanterns Alley

The alley is located on Gogol Street. Forged lamps appeared here in 2013. The peculiarity is that all of them are meaningful - part reflects the plots of the writer's works, another part reflects the specifics of the enterprise, which sponsored the manufacture of the lantern. There are lamps in the form of a clock, a loom, a symbolic figure of a clown, an angel, a treble clef.

10. Winter garden

The territory of the garden belongs to Brest State University. A.S. Pushkin is his scientific platform, however, greenhouses are open for free visits. Landings are divided into three zones: tropical, subtropical and desert. Exotic species grow under a glass dome resting on a base of metal and brick. This original building stands out against the backdrop of the city landscape.

11. The Brest Millennium Monument

The monument was built in 2009 at the expense of citizens. It is a model of Brest, reflected in the historical images of the princes and ordinary people who once ruled here. Above them lies the figure of a guardian angel. In 2011, a high relief was added to the monument, which displays important milestones of urban history, as well as a fancy Art Nouveau fence that harmoniously complemented the architectural composition.

12. The building of the railway station

The Brest railway station is considered the largest transport hub in Western Belarus. It caters for long-distance trains. The city is connected by direct railway lines with Berlin, Paris, Warsaw, Kiev. The station building was built in 1886. In form, it resembles a palace, therefore it is one of the popular attractions. During the First World War, the building was blown up, in 1953 it was reconstructed.

13. Railway Museum

The exposition, located on the territory of 29 thousand m² directly on the rails, is dedicated to everything related to railway construction, tracks and equipment. The museum opened in 2000. At the moment, his collection consists of several dozen samples: wagons, locomotives, steam cranes, repair facilities. There is even a tower clock and a signal bell. All equipment is in good condition.

14. Museum “Saved Art Values”

The museum exposition is quite unique, as it consists of values ​​confiscated at local customs, which the attackers tried to illegally transport across the border. Here you can see paintings, jewelry, icons of the XVI - XVII centuries, objects of decorative art and other exhibits. The collection is constantly updated due to the good work of customs authorities.

15. Brest Academic Drama Theater

The dramatic scene was created in the 1940s at a time when fighting was still ongoing on the western fronts. Creative life arose in difficult conditions, but the theater quickly became popular. Not only dramatic performances are given here, but also a symphony orchestra performs and musical performances are held. Every year, the stage hosts the international festival "White Vezha".

16. Brest Regional Museum of Local Lore

Since 1948, the museum’s exposition has been located in the building of the former church of the Exaltation of St. The cross. Over time, the institution moved and acquired several branches, which included expositions located within the Brest Fortress. The museum funds contain more than 200 thousand items relating to the history, archeology and ethnography of the region. Many exhibits are unique - they are several hundred years old.

17. Museum of the History of Brest

The collection is housed in a mansion of the early XX century. It is fully devoted to the history of the city from ancient times to the postwar years. The exhibits occupy 4 halls with an area of ​​200 m². Among them are city coats of arms of different periods, works of contemporary artists, collections of coins, old books, documents, statues, models, maps, household items and other interesting materials.

18. St. Nicholas fraternal church

One of the most picturesque temples of the city, located on Sovetskaya Street. It was erected in 1904 at its own expense by the Synod and donations from sailors and officers participating in the Russo-Japanese War. In architectural terms, the structure is a cross-domed church in the Russian-Byzantine style with clearly expressed elements of Moscow architecture in the mid-17th century.

19. Holy Resurrection Cathedral

An Orthodox church built in 1995–98, built in honor of the Victory Day. In size, it is the largest in Brest and one of the largest in all of Belarus. Inside, at the same time can be up to 5 thousand parishioners. The cathedral was erected in the neo-Russian style, characteristic of church construction of the late XIX - early XX centuries. In 2001, a bell weighing 400 kilograms was hoisted on the bell tower of the temple.

20. Holy Simeon Cathedral

The temple of the XIX century, a monument of architecture of the Russian-Byzantine church style. The building is a five-domed church. The side towers and the central drum are mounted on a quad, one of the sides of which has a semicircular shape. The poppies are covered with gold leaf, a clock is placed on the central tower. The facade of the cathedral is painted in light green color, it is decorated with wall paintings.

21. Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

The current Catholic church, built in the middle of the XIX century. The building was built in a classic style. After the Second World War, the museum of local lore was placed in its walls, at the same time he lost some decorative elements of the facade. Since 2002, church services have resumed. As a result of a long reconstruction, the historical appearance of the structure was restored.

22. Trinity Church in Chernavchitsy

The Catholic Church of the 15th century, located about 18 km from Brest in the agro-town of Chernavchitsy. It was erected in the styles of Gothic and Renaissance. From the side, the construction is somewhat reminiscent of an impregnable fortress with thick walls. For a long time the church belonged to the Orthodox diocese, in 1918 it was returned to the Catholics. In Soviet times, there were a hospital and a school.

23. The estate of the Nemtsevichs

The architectural complex of the 18th century, built in the Baroque style. It was erected for the Nemtsevich family, from where came Julian Ursyn, a public figure and one of the creators of the Constitution of the Commonwealth. The estate is surrounded by a park created around the same time. Once it had all the elements of landscape design - ponds, gazebos, alleys, but nothing has come down to our time. On the territory of the estate itself is a museum.

24. Brest park of culture and rest

Brest Park was pitched at the beginning of the 20th century. At that time, several hundred trees and more than 4 thousand bushes were planted. To entertain the public, they built a stage and a restaurant with a veranda. Today, this place successfully continues to perform the functions of a recreation area, at any time of the year, receiving visitors. There are rides, playgrounds and cafes. Monthly activities for children are held in the park.

25. Belovezhskaya Pushcha

Biosphere reserve and national park located on the border of Poland and Belarus. It is the remains of a relict forest, which in prehistoric times covered the whole of Europe. About 1000 species of trees, shrubs and grasses, up to 600 species of mushrooms, more than 200 species of mosses grow within its boundaries. The largest bison population lives in Belovezhskaya Pushcha.

Monument to the 1000th anniversary of the city

The monument was erected to mark the 1000th anniversary of Brest 10 more years before the date. At the intersection of Sovetskaya and Gogol streets, he appeared in 2009.

Today, the composition is one of the most popular among tourists in the city. Read more here: Monument to the 1000th anniversary of the city ..

CITY BREST

MONUMENTS

MUSEUMS

  • Brest Regional Museum of Local Lore
  • Museum of the History of Brest
  • Museum "Saved Art Values"
  • Street Museum (square) of old lanterns
  • Brest Museum of Railway Engineering. He is a "museum of steam locomotives"
BREST REGIONBrest district

Berezovsky district

Drogichin district

Zhabinkovsky district

Ivanovo district

Ivatsevichi district

Kamenets district

Kobrin district

Pruzhany district

There is also an interactive map.

Map of Brest Attractions

P.S. You might also be interested in the topic. “Where to take a photo in Brest? Interesting courtyards »

If you find an error, please select a piece of text and press Ctrl + Enter.

02.07.2015.
Tags: our city
Views:
----------------------
► Join our channel Telegram and community Viber

A Brief History of Brest

The first mention of Brest is found in the XI century. Then it was called Berestye and was an old Russian shopping center with a fortress located on the border of Lithuanian and Polish territories.

In the XIV-XVI centuries, the city was one of the largest centers of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Berestye was the first Belarusian city to receive the right to self-government.

In 1553, the headman Nicholas Radziwill Black opened a printing house in which the Brest Bible was printed. In 1569, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Poland entered the united state of the Commonwealth. Later it was in Berestye that the well-known Brest Union was proclaimed to unite the Catholic and Orthodox churches on the territory of the state.

In the second half of the XVII century the city began to be called Brest-Litovsk. During this period, copper coins were minted here - solid. In the middle of the XVII and at the beginning of the XVIII centuries, the Swedes ravaged the city twice.

At the end of the 18th century, economic growth began in the life of Brest-Litovsk - with a population of 3,500 inhabitants it became part of the Russian Empire.

During the invasion of Napoleon in 1812, the city was occupied several times by French troops. During the reign of Nicholas I on the site of Brest-Litovsk, a plan for building a fortress was approved. Because of this, the city was moved east, the townspeople were granted a loan for the construction of new housing. Most of the structures of the old city were destroyed or handed over for military needs. On April 26, 1842, the Brest-Litovsk fortress was opened.

By the end of the XIX century, the settlement already totaled 19 thousand inhabitants. The city had more than 200 shopping malls, a cathedral, the Simeon Church, and fairs were held twice a year.

Brest-Litovsk in the 19th century

In the 70s of the XIX century, three railway lines converged in Brest-Litovsk: Warsaw-Terespol, Moscow-Brest and South-West. This event led to economic growth and population growth. The city had connections with Russia, Ukraine and Poland. At the beginning of the 20th century, male and female gymnasiums were opened in Brest-Litovsk. At that time, the population was already 52,000.

During World War I, the Brest-Litovsk fortress became the base of the Western Front of Russian troops, and the entire local population was evacuated. In August 1915, Kaiser troops entered the city. On March 3, 1918, the Peace of Brest was signed, after which the city as part of Western Belarus went to Poland. During this period, he changed his name to Brest nad Bug.

After the Nazi attack on Poland in September 1939, Brest reunited with the BSSR.In December of the same year, the city received the status of a regional center, about 67 thousand people lived here and 23 enterprises worked.

Brest-Litovsk in 1939

In the summer of 1941, the Brest Fortress was one of the first to take the blow of German troops. During the Great Patriotic War, the Nazis killed about 40 thousand inhabitants of Brest. At that time, the neighborhood of the city became a place for mass executions of civilians.

The city reached the pre-war population only in 1958 - 68 thousand people. In 1956, the Museum of the Heroic Defense of the Brest Fortress began to operate.

In the post-war period, Brest was actively restored and developed. An airport was opened here in 1976, and a trolleybus was launched in the early 80s. And in 1982, the Berestye Archaeological Museum began its work, based on excavations of ancient buildings of the 13th century.

Memorial complex "Brest Fortress - Hero"

By the beginning of World War I, the Brest Fortress was considered one of the most impregnable in Europe. Today, the memorial complex includes dilapidated red brick walls, a museum, the Bayonet obelisk, St. Nicholas Church, the Courage monument, the Thirst sculpture, and three rows of plates, under which are the burial places of soldiers who died during the defense of the fortress .

The Courage Monument is a bust of a fighter with a frown, ready to resist the onslaught of the enemy. It was erected on the Ceremonial Square in 1971. Near the sculpture are memorial plates, under which lie 850 defenders of the fortress.

The sculpture “Thirst” looks impressive - an exhausted warrior tries to scoop up water with a helmet. She personifies the tragic events of the period of the Great Patriotic War. The fact is that during the siege of the fortress, the enemy blocked the exit from it to the river. As a result, the defending soldiers painfully died of thirst, using the latest supplies of water to cool small arms.

The fortress defense museum is located in the restored former barracks. Its expositions tell not only about the period of the Great Patriotic War, but also about the history of the construction of more ancient times.

On the territory of the Brest Fortress, the St. Nicholas Garrison Cathedral, built in the 19th century, works. At the beginning of the XX century, when the city was part of Poland, the temple was converted into a church. During the war of the 40s, the cathedral was badly damaged. But in the 90s, reconstruction began, and since 2005, regular cathedral services have been held in the cathedral.

It will take a whole day to examine all the elements of the Brest Fortress memorial complex.

Archaeological Museum "Berestye"

Near the Brest Fortress is a unique medieval museum "Berestye". It is based on archaeological excavations of the ancient city of the 13th century. Scientists managed to unearth a whole quarter, which consists of 28 wooden structures, pavements, the remains of utensils of the XI-XIV centuries: utensils, weapons, jewelry, household items, etc. All this is located in the excavation in its original form.

Exposition of the archaeological museum "Berestye"

To provide an opportunity for museum visitors to get acquainted with the interior of a standard 13th-century dwelling, a modern log cabin has been built in the area, which has everything you need: shelves for sleeping, a table, benches, an oven.

Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

The church was built in the 19th century. With the advent of Soviet power, it was closed, and all the shrines and interior items were destroyed. In the 90s after the reconstruction, this temple was returned to the Catholic Church. It has been restored and has been holding divine services since then. Tourists and pilgrims are most attracted to the Belarusian shrine located there - an icon of Our Lady of Brest.

Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

What else interesting can be seen in Brest?

Brest is rich in all kinds of attractions, and in addition to the well-known, walking along the streets of the city, you can meet those about whom you previously knew nothing. For example, go to the alley of wrought iron lamps. It is located on the pedestrian part of Gogol Street. This attraction appeared relatively recently - in 2013. The lanterns located here are unusual, each of them represents a certain object: an angel, a clock, a clown, a horse, a ship, etc.

Lantern Alley on the street Gogol

In Brest there is also a favorite street of the townspeople - Sovetskaya, which is often called the "Brest Arbat". It was reconstructed in 2009, after which the street was significantly transformed and became a popular place for walking tourists and local residents. Along this street are picturesque stone buildings of the early XX century, beautiful flower beds and small sculptures. On Sovetskaya there are also some sights of the city, for example, St. Nicholas fraternal church, the Winter Garden, a monument to the millennium of Brest.

Brest Millennium Monument

Another interesting attraction is the monument to the Millennium of Brest. It was put in 2009 with money donated by citizens. He is a figure of the guardian angel of the city, at the base of which are sculptures of the ruling princes and ordinary residents.

Train Station

A unique railway station built in 1886 has been preserved in Brest. It is not only an architectural value, but also a center for connecting transport routes of several countries. From the Brest station you can get to Paris, Berlin, Warsaw, Kiev and Moscow. During the First World War, the station building was destroyed, but in the 50s it was completely restored.

Brest will not leave indifferent any tourist who has visited this amazing city. Walking through the streets, and not even knowing about it, you can stumble upon some interesting attraction. Having visited Brest once, many tourists want to return here again.

Brest Railway Museum

The opening date of the museum is May 15, 2002. This is an open-air exhibition where samples of railway equipment for the entire history of the existence of railways in the country are collected.

Its total area is 29 thousand km sq., The length of the roads is 1200 m, and all copies are in working condition. Especially for the railway facilities of past years, the museum laid tracks that differ in structure from modern ones.

Museum of Saved Values ​​in Brest

The branch of the Brest Museum of Local Lore is an exposition where objects that were confiscated by the customs services of Belarus when trying to take them abroad are exhibited.

The collection occupies ten halls, and the number of exhibits includes jewelry items, including the legendary Faberge brand, objects of Asian and European art, icons and paintings.

The works of Aivazovsky, Myasoedov, Vinogradov are stored there, and the central exhibit of the graphic department is Vrubel’s sketch for the painting “The Demon Downed”.

Lantern Avenue

The forged street avenue in Brest was opened in 2013 in honor of one of the anniversaries of the liberation of the city from German occupants.

The project was initiated by mayor Alexander Palyshenkov, and large sponsor enterprises raised funds. The author of the lanterns was the famous Brest sculptor and blacksmith Alexander Chumakov.

Each of the lanterns represents a separate art object with its own theme (sculptures of representatives of different professions, a globe lamp, a lamp with a still life, etc.). Since the alley is located on Gogol Street, there are lanterns on it dedicated to the writer's work.

St. Nicholas Church

The temple was erected in 1885, but just a few years later it was destroyed by fire. The decision to build a new stone church was made at the beginning of the twentieth century, and the money was raised by the townspeople, mainly participants in the Russo-Japanese war.

Certain amounts were received from Peter Stolypin and Nicholas II. The work was completed in 1906, at the same time the temple was consecrated and open to parishioners.

After 50 years in Soviet times, the church closed the church and returned to believers only in 1990.

Temple in honor of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God

The temple was built in honor of one of the most famous Orthodox shrines - the icon of the Tikhvin Mother of God.

It was erected at the beginning of the XXI century and has characteristic features - 12 golden domes, which symbolize the 12 apostles of Christ, and a bell tower with 14 bells.

Bison on the highway Brest - Minsk

Bison are noble animals that are considered a symbol of Belarus. In their honor, in 2003 the Brest-Minsk highway was equipped with a 30-meter-high figure of a huge bison with a tightened tail and antlers set forward.

The sculpture was created on the initiative of local authorities with the money of patrons.

White Vezha

Belaya Vezha is a defense and guard building built in the 13th century. The height of the tower installed on the hill is 35 m, and from its upper part a picturesque view of the surroundings opens.

Over the course of its history, it has withstood raids by enemy troops and served simultaneously as an ammunition depot and a platform for repelling attacks. Now it is a branch of the Brest Museum of History and Local Lore.

Ostrich farm

An ostrich breeding farm located near Brest is the largest ostrich breeding enterprise in the CIS. It was founded in 2002 on an area of ​​about 50 hectares, and currently there are about 350 individuals of black ostrich, which is found in South Africa.

Birds behave in the same way as in wildlife, and visitors can not only watch them, but also listen to an interesting tour.

Santa Claus Residence

The legendary Belovezhskaya Pushcha is one of the residences of Santa Claus, where he receives guests all year round.

The magical old man settled here in 2003 and lives in an openwork wooden house, next to which sculptures of fairy-tale characters are installed. Among the attractions of the residence include the Snegurochka tower, a treasure chest with treasures, a twelve-month glade, a 40-meter-tall Christmas tree, and the Museum of Ice Life.

Vkontakte
Pinterest