In the Scottish city of Dundee, at the mouth of the Thay River, the Discovery Royal Research Vessel is standing on eternal fun. The name of the vessel is translated from English as “discovery” - and it turned out to be prophetic.
Discovery is the last UK-made wooden three-masted bark and the first British ship made specifically for scientific research. It was launched in 1901. Two steam engines were installed on the ship, but they performed only an auxiliary role, because Discovery could not take on board a large supply of coal. The design of the ship was designed to sail in the Antarctic waters among the ice - as a result, pitching was felt very strongly on the high seas.
The first Discovery expedition started in August 1901 from the Isle of Wight. The expedition was heading to Antarctica, and was led by its naval officer Robert Falcon Scott. The results of the expedition were of great importance - the British managed to prove that Antarctica was the mainland, they established the location of the South Magnetic Pole. The expedition returned to Britain in September 1904. Robert Scott became a national hero. Scott will leave for the second Antarctic expedition on the Terra Nova, and the Discovery will be used as a cargo ship for the next twenty years.
In 1923, Discovery again went on a scientific expedition to the Southern Hemisphere - an expedition was organized to study whales, their lifestyle, migrations, way of feeding, etc. In 1929-31. Discovery takes part in the work of the British Australian-New Zealand Expedition (BANZARE), led by D. Mawson.
When the Discovery became unsuitable for swimming on the high seas and scientific research, for many years it served as a training ship, first for sea scouts, then for military sailors. In March 1986, the Discovery aboard the Happy Mariner transport ship arrived at Dundee, at the very port where it had once been launched. Now a museum is open aboard Discovery, which tells about all the expeditions in which the ship took part. Robert Falcon Scott's gun and pipe are stored here.
In honor of the Discovery ship, three more British research vessels were named after this name.
How to get to Dundee
Dundee Airport accepts flights from London. Another nearest major airport is in Edinburgh, almost 100 km to the south. Bus services from various companies connect Dundee with many other Scottish cities. You can also get to the city by your own car, on the A90 and M90 highways from Perth or Aberdeen.
Attractions and attractions in Dundee
Dundee is a very interesting city, whatever you are interested in: there are old castles and beautiful city parks, science centers, many museums, historic ships in the harbor and the best weather in Scotland is almost guaranteed.
The city has preserved several beautiful medieval buildings, although the main architecture of the city is low Victorian houses. In the 60s. Dundee was built up with typical high-rise buildings, but today they have exhausted their resources and are undergoing demolition - especially since the population is slowly but steadily falling. The best preserved of the old districts is Kaugate with a section of the city walls of the mid 16th century. Another similar complex of buildings is the Gardines Land on High Street, some parts of which also belong to the middle of the 16th century. Such is the age of the Hauf city cemetery.
The oldest building in the city is the tower of St. Mary's Church, built at the end of the 15th century and reconstructed in the middle of the 19th after the fire. This tower, almost 50 meters high, called Old Steeple, has long remained the tallest building in Dundee. Today you can climb the tower. The church itself forms part of the complex of city churches, which also includes the church of St. Clement (late 18th century) and the old church of St. Paul and St. David (first half of the 19th century). These three churches in the eastern part constitute the main historical heritage of the city.
Other significant city churches are the 1853 Gothic St. Paul’s Cathedral, which stands on present-day High Street, on the site of the former Dundee Castle, and the St. Andrew’s Roman Catholic Cathedral, also built in 1853.
There are several castles in Dundee: in particular, the Manes Castle in Caird Park, built in 1562 on the site of an earlier building. This castle of rough stone with a square six-story tower is very well preserved, and today weddings and weddings are held here. Another small castle, Claypotts in West Ferry, was built around the same time, it has an interesting layout in the form of the letter Z. Dudhope Castle, built in the 13th century, but then significantly remade, looks quite different. During World War II, it was used as soldier’s barracks, so in the 80s. A serious restoration was required, but today this light and plastered building with many low cone towers looks very nice.
Brian Molko of cult British rock band Placebo grew up in Dundee.
The building of the McManus Gallery in Albert Square, built in 1867 in the style of the Gothic revival, looks very impressive and beautiful. Inside there is a museum and art gallery with a collection of fine and decorative art, as well as an exposition dedicated to natural history. After the last restoration of the building, the museum was reopened in 2010, but now much of McManus’s collection is housed in the old Carnegie library on Barrack Street.
The city also has a jute museum, Verdant Works, housed in an old jute mill. Several museums are also open at the University of Dundee - for example, the D'Arcy Thompson Zoological Museum and the Taisaud Medical History Museum. Modern interactive exhibitions and installations can be studied at the Sensational Science Center, which was opened in 2000. This is a very interesting scientific and educational museum: the main emphasis in all expositions is on robotics and the practical application of scientific discoveries.
Science lovers should take the time to look at the Mills Observatory - the first in Britain, built specifically as a public observatory and still the only one in the country that is always open for visitors. The seven-meter dome of the observatory, one of two papier-mâché domes preserved in the UK, is unique in its own way. A Victorian reflective telescope is installed inside (of course, the observatory also has a newer telescope in 2013). The observatory is located on a wooded hill of Balgey, in the park of the same name, one and a half km west of the city center, and a walk here through the park among cypresses, strawberry bushes and violets in itself will be very pleasant.
The most interesting attraction of Dundee is a bronze monument to the heroes of the comic books about Bino and Dundee, Desperate Dan with his dog and Mini Minks. In Russia, these comics are completely unknown, but in the UK they are very well known: at the University of Dundee, even a separate course is devoted to the study of literature on comics.
Low Hill Fortress was built in the Iron Age. Today, in its place is the World War I memorial erected here in 1921. Several docks, including Camperdown and Victoria, have survived on the shore. The tall and narrow “Coke Stack” - “Coke Pipe” is interesting. This is the red and white chimney of the former Camperdown jute mill, named for the jute baron James Cox, who later became mayor of the city. In Dundee, quite a lot of old jute mills and enterprises remained, which were later adapted to a variety of needs.
One of the sights of the city of modern times is the university tower, built in 60-70 years. Only one building was taller at this time: Old Steeple. And the newest Dundee Museum opened in April 2014 on Market Street - a transportation museum with a collection of old cars.
Description of Dundee
Dundee is a large industrial and port city in the northeast of Scotland. It stands on the north coast of the wide Firth of Thay, which flows into the North Sea. Its main attractions are the Discovery ship, the Green Jute Mill and the V & A Design Museum, which opened in the fall of 2018. It is also a convenient base for nearby major golf tournaments, as well as for exploring Deeside and the Highlands.
Dundee was traditionally a dirty, rude industrial city, famous for its three jutes, jam and journalism. Jute still marks the landscape: the mills are closed, but many still stand as offices and apartments. The jam was made from fruits grown nearby. Journalism belongs to the publishing empire of DC Thomson, the fame of which was not so much their journalism as the stability of comics and cartoons. These include the Sunday Post with Oor Wullie and The Broons, Dandy with Desperate Dan and Beano with Dennis the Menace.
But industrial dirt is gradually disappearing, allowing the city to shine in its attractive natural setting. There are already major attractions for visitors. There is a student buzz from universities, and, as a rule, a friendly attitude towards guests.
The Dundee Tourist Information Center is located on Riverside Discovery Embankment, next to Discovery RRS.
Discovery Point (RRS Discovery), Riverside Drive, DD1 4XA. Apr-Oct: Mon-Sat 10: 00-18: 00, Sunday from 11:00, November-March: closes at 17:00 Discovery, launched in 1901, is the Royal Research Vessel (RRS), specially designed for research in Antarctica. Built in Dundee, it is a wooden sailboat with only auxiliary steam energy. “Discovery” was ordered by Robert Sokol Scott, also on board was Ernest Shackleton. They reached Antarctica in early 1902 (that is, in the summer), intending to spend one winter there, but the ship icy over the next two years. They were about to leave the ship in February 1904, when the ice broke, and they fled home, to public recognition. Both men had to return: Shackleton did not reach the South Pole in 1907-09, but survived, Scott reached him in 1910-12, but after Amundsen, and his whole group died on the way back to the coast.
The Discovery Point has an extensive expedition of 1902-04, which spent most of its time ashore, and then you boarded the ship. Adult £ 11.25, joint ticket with Verdant Works £ 18.25.
How to get there
The most convenient international airport for Dundee is Edinburgh (EDI), located 60 miles to the south, with extensive flights throughout Europe. Direct G buses head north from the airport over the old Fort Road bridge to Inverkiting and Halbit Fife. This service is the Stagecoach Jet 747 bus, which runs daily 24 hours, every 20 minutes in the daytime. Then for Dundee, change either Inverkeithing to train (hourly, one hour) or Halbeath for stagecoach X54 (hourly, 90 minutes).
Dundee Airport (DND IATA), Riverside Drive DD2 1UH (3 km west of center on the A85). Very close to the city center, but the only commercial flight is London Stansted from Loganair, twice a day from Monday to Friday and once on Sunday
Dundee Railway Station (DEE). located just south of the city center, near Discovery Cape and the Tei Road exits. The station was rebuilt in 2018 with the SleeperZ hotel on the upper floors of the station building.
Dundee has hourly service from Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen (all 80 minutes managed by Scotrail). Three direct LNER day trains run from London Kings Cross (6 hours) via York and Newcastle, but it is usually more convenient to transfer to Edinburgh. From the Midlands and the Southwest, take the cross country train from Penzance via Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and York.
There are also nocturnal Caledonian Sleepers from London Euston. The direct train is the sleeping Highland to Aberdeen and Inverness, departing from London at about 21:00 and arriving at Dundee at 06:00, it returns at 23:00, reaching London at 08:00. Alternatively, you can get to Edinburgh and Glasgow from Sleeping in the Lowlands, leaving London around midnight and moving to Edinburgh at 07:00 on the local train to get to Dundee at around 09:00. To return, you leave Dundee at about 9 p.m. to join the south-sleeping sleeping place from Edinburgh around midnight, reaching London at 07:00 a.m.
As always, you need to find the best tickets and buy early. For example, a standard return to Dundee from Glasgow is £ 37, a split ticket through Perth reduces it to £ 24, and a pre-purchase can reduce the price to £ 15. See the Wikivoyage UK Rail Guide.
From Edinburgh and the south, follow the M90 / A90 to the north, about 55 miles or a little over an hour's drive. The slow scenic route is the junction on the A92 towards Kirkcaldy, then the wind along the coast of Fife and through St. Andrews.
From Glasgow, follow the M80, then follow the M9 / A9 to Perth, and then turn east towards the A90. It is 75 miles, about 90 minutes away.
From Aberdeen, follow the A90 south: it's 67 miles and takes about 80 minutes.
A90 borders the north of Dundee, where it is called Kingsway. A speed limit of 40/50 mph is strictly enforced.
Scottish Citylink buses run hourly from Glasgow Buchanan Station (1 hour 40 minutes) and Aberdeen Union Square (1 hour 20 minutes) and every two hours from Edinburgh St. Andrews Square (90 minutes): be careful with slow buses that run on small small towns. Megabus competes on these city routes and also runs straight from Manchester (6 hours). National Express coaches depart from London Victoria within 12 hours during the day and 11 at night.
Dundee Bus Station is located at 132 Seagate DD1 2HR, in the city center. There is no left-luggage office. Lots of cafes and fast food nearby.
Dundeetravelinfo offers travel news, real-time information and a travel planner.
To get around Dundee, there are good conditions for road transport. Taxis are available in taxi cabs in the center.
The local bus service has extensive intercity connections. All local buses converge to the city center and are relatively inexpensive. You can buy a ticket for 10 or all day.
With increasing scientific and political attention turning into the uncharted continent of Antarctica at the end of the 19th century, numerous offers for a British mounted expedition to the continent appeared. The Royal Navy was something of a pioneer from the Antarctic, mounting a Ross expedition in 1839, who discovered the Ross Ice Shelf. Attention was then turned north into the Arctic and attempted to reach the North Pole. RN mounted a British Arctic expedition in 1874. At the turn of the century there increased pressure for a similar expedition in the southern polar region. The British government and the Admiralty cut short on organizing a government expedition, but agreed to partially fund the project, led by two major interested scientific organizations, the Royal Geographical Society and the Royal Society. The Admiralty will provide practical support in the development and crewing of a specially designed ship for the expedition, while the ship itself will belong to the Russian Geographical Society.
The first discussions on the construction of a specialized polar reconnaissance vessel is considered to be the replication of Fridtjof Nansen ship Fram but this ship was designed specifically to work across drifting ice in the Arctic, while a British ship would have to cross thousands of miles of open ocean before reaching Antarctica so a more traditional design was chosen. Responsible for its overall design was WE Smith, one of the senior naval architects in the Admiralty, while ship engine, boilers and other machines were designed by Fleet engineer Philippe Marrake.
The ship borrowed many aspects of its design (as well as its name) from Bloodhound , in Dundee folded whaling ship, accepted by the Royal Naval Service as HMS Discovery for the arctic expedition. By 1900, several yards in the United Kingdom had the opportunity to build wooden ships of the size needed - only two shipbuilders applied for a contract - but it was deemed necessary that the ship be made of wood, both strength and ease of repair and to reduce electromagnetic interference from the steel hull which would allow the most accurate navigation and geodesy. The main compass was installed completely amidships and there should have been no steel or cast iron fittings within 30 feet (9.1 m) at this point - to the extent that the original cabin pillows (only aft and below the main bridge) were changed, when it was found that they turned on the buttons became the backs. For the same reason, boilers and an engine were installed towards the stern of the vessel, a feature that also provided maximum space for equipment and positions. A special laboratory for magnetic field measurements was presented below the bridge.
A ship was almost built in Norway by Framnæs, a courtyard that would later be built Endurance but it was believed that British government money should have been spent in the British court and Discovery Dundee was built by shipbuilders companies, which are mainly from small ships such as trawlers, tugs and steam yachts. The courtyard was previously owned by Alexander Stefan and Sons and built Terra nova (Scott bought in 1910 for his last expedition) in 1884. The committee responsible for building the ship proposed a separate tender for her boilers, engines and auxiliary machinery in an effort to reduce costs, but Dundee shipbuilders also won this contract.
The ship costs £ 34050 to build, plus another £ 10322, which will be equipped with engines and machines and more than £ 6000 for other equipment and fittings: Total cost for detect amounted to £ 51,000, which is equivalent to £ 4.1m in modern currency. Much of the detailed work on completing the ship’s interior, scientific equipment and position were controlled directly by Scott and the newly appointed ship engineer Reginald Skelton.
Discovery was equipped with a 450-horsepower triple-angle expansion of the steam engine, but had to rely mainly on sails, since the coal bunkers did not have enough potential to take the ship on long voyages. At its economic cruising speed of 6 knots (6.9 mph, 11.1 km / h) it only carried enough coal for 7,700 miles of steaming, sailing in New Zealand covered more than 12,000 miles. At 8 knots (9.2 miles per hour, 14.2 km / h), she could only fly 5100 miles. The ship was regarded as a sailing ship with additional steam traffic - when first registered in 1900 Discovery was classified as a sailing ship. Its copyright was the Royal Geographical Society, whose president, Sir Clements Markham, was a member of the Royal Harwich Yacht Club - Discovery thus registered as a private sailing yacht RHYC and bore the official name and prefix "SY Discovery", She flew into RHYC in a triangular flag and Blue Warrant Officer throughout her first expedition.
It was equipped as a barge (on the front and mainmasts being a squared derrick and mizzen mast carrying a bow aft sail), and the total maximum sail area was 12.296 square feet (1142 square meters). Following the practice of the most modern sailing ships of the time, windjammers, she carried a split top-link to reduce the size of the deck crew needed to process them. Its spars and sails at the fore and a mainsail were identical, to reduce the number of spare parts carried out and allow easier repairs. The ship was equipped to carry a few large staysail and the funnel was hinged at the base, so it can be laid on deck when the mizzen staysail was rigged once at sea. Discovery was a little faster under sail than she was under the engine - her record for a 24-hour distance of 223 nautical miles (358 km), which is equivalent to 9.2 knots (10.5 mph, 17 km / h).
The ship has a massive wooden hull designed to withstand being frozen in ice and resist crushing. At the time of its launch Discovery was widespread to be the most powerful wooden ship ever built. The protruding parts of the frame body, located much closer to each other than normal, were made of solid oak sections up to 11 inches (27.9 cm) thick. The outer casing was formed of two layers - one 6 inches (15.2 cm) thick and the outer skin about 5 inches (12.7 cm) thick. The third lining was laid inside the frame, forming a double bottom and skin around almost the entire body. The gap between the outer and inner shells was packed with salt only over the waterline. Since this space was otherwise inaccessible, the salt dried up the inevitable minor water leak in the wooden case and acted as a preservative for the wood. Holes in the inner casing were provided to allow salt to be replenished or changed at intervals. This meant that in places the hull was more than 2 feet (60 cm) thick, providing not only tremendous strength, but excellent insulation from the cold. Construction meant that it was impossible to install portholes (and fitting them would weaken the hull), so the crew relied on a “mushroom vent” on the deck to allow air and light in the interior.
The wood used for formwork varies depending on where the ship is laid and what structural purposes it serves: the inner layer is ordinary pine while the 6-inch skin is made from pine resin, Honduras mahogany or oak. The outer case is made of English Elm and Greenheart. Oak beams cross the hull, forming three decks - the lower deck is a beam of 11 inches (27.9 cm) cross-sectional area and located less than three feet (0.9 m) apart from each other along the length of the vessel. Seven transverse bulkheads, as well as those made of wood, provide added strength and ensure that any damage caused by ice does not flood the entire ship. In order to prevent damage from ice or crushing, a two-blade propeller can be lifted out of the way and rudder can be easily removed and stored on board. A second rudder and spare propeller blades were made, and the vessel can be controlled with its own sails if its rudder or steering gear has been completely turned off. Forged bows were badly shot, so that when ramming ice they will ride up over the edge and crush ice deadweight. The coal bins on each side contained a steel compartment, each of which could hold 60 tons of fresh water. They will be filled on a long ocean trip to and from New Zealand, but for the Antarctic expedition, additional coal was more important, as ice and snow could be melted every day to provide water, so that the tanks would be filled with coal. Metal tanks also contributed to the strength of the lower part of the body around the boiler and the engine spaces.
Since March 16, 1900, in the context of significant donations from the approaching expedition of philanthropists, Lwellin W Longstaff and the British government, the construction of Discovery started in Dundee, Scotland, at the Dundee Shipbuilders Company. It was launched at Firth of Tay on March 21, 1901 to Lady Markham, wife of Sir Clements Markham, president of the Royal Geographical Society.
British National Antarctic Expedition
The British National Antarctic Expedition left Britain less than five months after Discovery was launched, and only a week after the ship left Dundee. With limited time between the launch of the vessel and its departure in Antarctica, time was limited for sea trials. Its speed under pairs was tested and turned out to be better than expected - its average maximum speed during the tests was 9 knots, instead of the planned 8 knots. Without a full crew available and for a short time, neither her builders or Scott were able to test her work or handling under sail. Most of her equipment was also tested, so a long voyage to New Zealand, made through Madeira and Cape Town, will also be a new test vessel. Before reaching London from Dundee, a leak was discovered in its stern around the checkpoint. There was no time to dry dock the ship for a complete repair, with Skelton having to do it with extra coinage.
The ship was docked in London with supplies and loading equipment until July 1901, when she sailed to Cowes on the Isle of Wight, where she anchored in August. At this time, she served as a RGO yacht during the Cowes week and toured several dignitaries, culminating in the visit of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra on 5 August. The expedition left Kause the next day, August 6, 1901.
Scott's first impression of the ship was poor, considering it slow and unresponsive while the small hull, built without any protrusions, worked well on ice, with minimal stability. Discovery rolling strongly once in the open sea (it was recorded rolls at 94 degrees - 47 degrees in each direction vertically in the Southern Ocean) and, as a rule, a "vice" (wandering back and forth along its course). Shackleton described the ship as a poor sailboat, carrying too many sails aft and not enough forward, Scott is also concerned that the hull ship’s design is unsuitable for drifting ice. But as soon as the expedition reached the roaring forties the ship turned out to have excellent seaworthiness, but because it was heavy and relatively small sail area for its size was carried out, she could make good progress in a strong wind and strong waves without a reef. IN Discovery unusually rounded, overhanging feed (one of the main changes from the original Bloodhound design) not only provided a higher level of protection for the rudder, but also prevent everything except the largest following seas breaking above the back of the ship and the entire deck dry, although the stern was prone to “popping” into the waves, which makes the officer’s placement and The cabins are noisy.
Expedition to New Zealand via Madeira and Cape Town for replenishment. The ship was dry-docked for the first time at Lyttelton and a carpenter, Frederick Daily, prepared a long report detailing the many empty bolt holes and the relaxed Sensibles he found. Six feet (1.8 meters) of water seeped into the ship's holds and the bottom hold through poorly sealed joints in the skin. While they were repaired, there was a significant dispute between the OGS and Dundee shipbuilders, who is responsible for the shortcomings, but Discovery sailed to Antarctica on December 21, 1901 after three weeks in New Zealand.
She saw the Antarctic coastline on January 8, 1902. During the first month, Scott began plotting the coastline. Then, in preparation for the winter, he secured himself at McMurdo in a bay protected from the prevailing west wind on the Hut Peninsula. Discovery was moored directly to the ice shelf of the anchors and Scott used explosives to blow off part of the shelf, so that the ship could be protected from three sides. February 8th Discovery was surrounded by floating ice on all sides. The expedition was divided between ship and shore, with Discovery used to house and prefabricated hut, designed to be winter living quarters on an expedition, was used as a laboratory. Despite the fact that the ship surrounded by ice has not yet been frozen. In more severe storms, the ship will crash, slam and grind on the ice shelf, but its strong multi-layer wooden hull withstood the force that would be torn apart by an ordinary ship. By the end of March Discovery was completely frozen in an ice-covered sound. The ship will remain there, locked on ice, for the next two years, the expedition expected to spend the winter there and move on in the spring. Despite this, ship schedule and work continued throughout the Antarctic winter. The expedition was able to determine that Antarctica was indeed a continent, and they were able to move the South Magnetic Pole. Scott, Shackleton and Edward Wilson also reached far south 82 degrees 18 minutes. Opening The placement of the ship proved to be excellent. Just a recurring complaint that the officers' cabins were very cold. They were placed amidships on both sides of the cabins and above the boilers and coal bunkers. After the boilers were extinguished without heating and deep freezing of the coal mass in the bins, it was difficult to keep the heat in the rooms. Ice often formed on the walls of the cabin and Scott said that he was sitting at the table, he had to have his legs in a box of straw to keep warm.
In January 1903 Morning commanded by William Colbeck arrived at McMurdo with additional cargo for the expedition. It was hoped (both expeditions in Antarctica and organizers in London) that opening will be freed as the ice set off in the Antarctic summer, allowing her to continue her journey. but it remained ice, and the ship and its crew had to winter in the second year, as morning left in March. Another land was organized by an expedition during the spring of 1903. Scott is again confident that a second summer will allow Discovery leave a sound. In January 1904 a second relief expedition commanded once again Kolbek arrived consisting of Morning and Terra nova ordering to retrieve the entire expedition and abandon detect if the ship was not free of ice on February 25th. Two embossed vessels slowly broke the path through the ice while Scott organized a working party on Discovery Use the saws and select the axis to cut the ice from the hull. However, on February 10, the research vessel was still locked in ice and the ships embossed two miles (3 km) from the besieged ship. Scott began to evacuate his equipment and samples from Discovery in the course of preparation to abandon it, but on February 16, 1904 the ice suddenly began to disintegrate. After a series of controlled explosions with dynamite Discovery was freed from the pack and soon relief ships were able to do together.
Fifty tons of coal were transferred from Terra nova which carried additional fuel for this purpose, and the captain In the morning gave an additional 25 tons. Steam began to climb Discovery on February 17, but before the ship was completely ready for sea, a storm blew up. The ship was dragged onto her anchors and only had sufficient pressure in her boilers to prevent her from being blown back on the ice shelf, which had provided refuge for two years. Scott tried to go around the Huts in the teeth of a storm at 11 o'clock on a low tide, but it is grounded on uncharted shallows. Attempts were made to force the ship forward along the obstruction and back away, but the engines lacked power and the water intakes for its condenser were blocked by ice and knocked up dirt. The ship spent almost ten hours aground, being bodily slammed and knocked on the ground under the influence of waves and wind. The captains of the relief vessels stood in preparation for the rescue, and the crew feared that their ship would be a mast at best, and at worst split. Scott described this evening as “truly the most terrible” he spent during the expedition. At 3 a.m. on February 18, the wind was moderate, the stream turned and the ship began to glide aft from the jamb under its own weight. After Stern afloat in the intakes were cleaned and the engines were able to pull the onions away. Checks showed that opening came through the test almost completely without damage, the loss of only some of its external GreenHeart casing and some minor damage to the rudder. At dawn, the ship is far from the earth.
The extra coal taken on from the embossed ships meant that Scott should not take a direct route back to New Zealand, and did not go north through Cape North and Balleny, a route that also proved the non-existence of land planned by the US Expedition study in 1840. Off Cape Adair damaged steering wheel freed up and a spare had to be installed. Three ships regrouped in the Auckland Islands and docked at Lyttleton in April 1. Discovery then headed east after the clipper route back to the UK, taking some oceanographic sounding and searching for the “phantom” Dogert the island as she did. After passing through the Strait of Magellan, she stopped in the Falkland Islands to do magnetic research. Discovery returned to Spithead on September 10, 1904, 1131 days after her departure.
The British National Antarctic Expedition received recognition after his return, but also serious financial problems, and therefore in 1905, Discovery was sold at Hudson's Bay Company for £ 10,000 (a fifth of its original assembly cost), which used it as a cargo ship between London and the Hudson's Bay, Canada. The HBC is a heavily rebuilt ship for its new purpose, depriving all housing and other spaces below its deck to maximize cargo space. Features such as her propeller lift, dredging winches and her original galley oven were removed and sold. The ship's officers are now stationed in the fellings, which were placed by the ship’s laboratories and scientific storerooms, and the crew is moored in the bow cockpit.
Opening made an annual transatlantic trip to HBC between 1905 and 1911, carrying food, fuel, building materials and gunpowder from London to Charlton Island in Canada (near the large NSA depot at Moose Factory). The ship was loaded with trawling season made of fur skins for the return voyage. Each round trip took about two months, and was done in the summer, although the ship still often had to be broken through ice in Davis and Hudson Straights. Since 1912 season Discovery and another HBC ship, pelican were replaced by a completely new and much larger steam icebreaker, on Nascopie , and the ship was laid in London. In October 1913, it was sold for £ 9,500 to Joseph Foster Stackhouse, a member of the Royal Geographical Society, who was planning another exploratory expedition to Antarctica. Stackhouse paid ZhSK for an initial deposit of £ 1,000 on the ship, but was unable to raise funds to pay the balance. The outbreak of World War I saw a planned expedition postoponed and the stackhouse died in drowning Lusitania in May 1915, returning from a fundraising trip to New York. After Stackhouse’s death in NVS, he kept a £ 1,000 deposit to cover time-consuming maintenance costs. Discovery .
The following month, it was a dry dock and again rigged at a price of £ 55 under a scheme funded and run by HBC for wartime shipments from all over the world in France - Discovery one of about 300 vessels would be leased through 6,600 contracts under the scheme (it was a double boiler # 141), managed by a specially formed shell company called Bay Shipping Company. Discovery sailed from London bound for New York in April, but had to put in on Falmouth because of a large leak around her helm. The journey took 27 days in bad weather, and the ship was found in poor condition, with a lot of leakage of deck seams and a number of mechanical damage. Her eastbound trip was made to La Rochelle holding caustic soda, burlap and velveteen. More leaks occurred, flood cabins and pantries. Some of its wood was found to dry rot and its condenser failed, requiring sea water to be used in its boilers, which then required repairs.
Another repair and repair was made in Swansea in August 1915, and then the ship sailed to Arkhangelsk through the French ports of Nantes, Bordeaux and Brest. Her cargo was 500 tons of French ammunition held in support of the Russian Empire, with Arkhangelsk on the White Sea is the only port of Russia in the European waters of the free German blockade. Traveling through the North Cape brought up more examples of the poor condition of the ship, as it suffered further leaks and rigging damage. Her return cargo was 557 barrels of methanol, which she carried to Le Havre. IN Discovery sad to roll in the stormy sea caused some damage to the trunks and its absence of a special deck of the cargo hatch means that loading and unloading took much longer than in a specially made cargo ship.
In 1916 Discovery was leased to the British government to save Shackleton's party landed on Elephant Island. Discovery was converted in Plymouth and retired on August 11, 1916. Due to the obviously low speed of the ship, it is towed in a coal miner Polesley until she reached the favorable trade winds. Since World War I was still raging, towing was accompanied by two Royal Navy destroyers. Just four weeks after leaving the UK Discovery arrived at Montevideo to find out that Shackleton had realized his own salvation in His station while Discovery was on the way. In order to cover part of the costs of a failed flight, Discovery picked up a cargo of 5943 bags of wheat at commercial rates for transporting her return flight. She returned to Plymouth in November, where she was transferred back to HBC. She sailed to Lorient, where she is unloaded with a load of grain.
Between January 1917 and March 1918 Opening cargo is carried along the French coast of the Bay of Biscay between Brest and Bayonne. She was released from the escort service back to HBC in April 1918 and in June made her last transatlantic flight, sailed from Cardiff to Charlton Island via Montreal. She twice got stuck in ice in the Hudson River right near Cape Chidley and Charles Island. Her condition was such that she was not allowed to wear valuable furs on eastern voyages, taking them only to Newfoundland in special wraps to protect them from water leaks. With a load of general cargo loaded in St. John's, Discovery returned to Liverpool in January 1919 between then and July of that year she made further coastal voyages along the French coast of the Atlantic Ocean, across the English Channel in Antwerp.
In July 1919, Discovery was again reviewed by the British government for another flight to Russia, this time in support of the White Guards in the Civil War. With the Red Army in the management of large cities and ports of Russia northeast, the only supply route was through ports on the Black Sea. Discovery departed from Kingston upon Hull and traveled to Gibraltar and through the Mediterranean Sea, reached Istanbul at the end of August and passed through the Dardanelles and entering Novorossiysk in September. Here she transported cargo from another HBC supply vessel for the same perspective ( Pelican ) and proceeded to Rostov-on-Don, which she reached on October 6 with a three-week wait for the cargo, followed by Discovery was loaded with a load of about 4,000 barrels of cement. This was taken to Piraeus (reached on December 1), and then the ship returned to Istanbul, where she loaded piece goods, including bags of nuts, flax seeds, carpets and carpets, caviar, mohair and copper sheet. She went to London in mid-February 1920 and refuel on Gibraltar on February 28. She unloaded on the docks of East India in mid-March.
The development of the conflict in Russia means that no further voyages were possible. The decline in the shipping business and the purchase of new, more modern ships in the HBC meant that Discovery there was an excess of requirements. She spent a month moored at a Thames buoy in Deptford while she was offered for charter, but in June was docked in South West India by the Dock. All of her equipment was removed to store or sell, and her equipment was stored in a lubricant layer.
She was still at her dock in southwestern India Dock in early 1922, when the HBC agreed to lend the ship as the interim headquarters for 16 - reserve sea scouts.
In 1923, her condition was restored when the Colonial office of the British government acquired her for further research. Hudson's Bay companies sold Discovery for £ 5000 and retained the right of first refusal to re-acquire the vessel if it was sold in order to prevent a rival firm, using it to compete in the Canadian fur trade. The government bought a vessel to mount long-term research projects, graphs, and analysis of whales in the Southern Ocean. Discovery underwent a £ 114,000 refit at Vosper & Company which totaled the recovery to put in the right years of wear and equip the ship for its new purpose. Most of the costs were generated by the Falkland Islands government, as the territory is increasingly dependent on whaling for the economy and voyage to provide the necessary information about the location, size and management of whale stocks. Because of this title to Discovery was entrusted to the Falkland Islands Executive Board and its port of registry was changed from London to Port Stanley. Currently, she has also been designated as the Royal Research Vessel in the official service of the British Government.
Because her new role will require many thousands of miles of open ocean travel, a change has been made to improve Discovery handling and sailing performance. As suggested by Scott and Shackleton in 1900, her forecasting and mainmasts were moved forward (4 feet / 1.2 meters and 8 feet / 2.5 meters, respectively) to make her more balanced and stable on course with new yards and adding split br sails increased its sail area by 20 percent to improve its speed. All three of her skins were widely re-planked and parts of her keel were replaced with new sections of imported Quebec oak, which proves that it is impossible to obtain an English oak of the desired shape, size and strength. New cabins and other rooms were built both on the lower deck and in the wheelhouse. These include chemical and biological laboratories, a library, a darkroom and new cabins and other facilities, including new cabins. The ship was equipped with several winches for processing sounding lines and deep-sea trawling of networks from cables for a total of a thousand fathoms in length, plus an early electronic echo sounder. This allowed the ship not only to outline the depth of the ocean as she traveled, but to restore samples of the seabed, sea water and samples of deep-sea fish. It was equipped with electric power lighting from both a steam generator and a paraffin engine for use when sailing, and now also boasted a chilled shop for fresh provisions. She carried four motor boats of various sizes. In its new form, it was re-registered on the ship.
Stanley Wells Kemp was appointed director of the research project while Joseph Stenhouse, a veteran of the Aurora drift, was captain of Discovery . The ship left Portsmouth in July 1925. The final aspects of repair and testing were rushed off to reach the Southern Ocean before the whaling season in November, which led to a number of flaws developing on the ship as it sailed through the Bay of Biscay, and it was introduced to Dartmouth for repairs and modifications that had two months. She made her final departure on September 24 and reached Cape Town on December 20, ending only on Ascension Island. She replenished and took on cargo and mail for delivery Tristan - yes - Kunya on her way to South Georgia. In all her movements beyond this point detect regularly stopped to oceanographic studies, which could take up to six hours to complete at each predetermined position.
The ship reached South Georgia on February 20 and was founded there for two months, while her team of scientists and sailors worked side by side with whalers, both on shore, in Grytviken and at sea, looking at the remains of caught and processed whales and observing them numbers and movements. Discovery he himself made hydrographic; oceanographic studies of the seas around South Georgia and surveys of himself and his wildlife on a poorly designated island were also made. Due to her delayed departure from the UK, these voyages were made deep in the South Atlantic during the winter and excessive roll of the ship, high windage and limited engine power all caused difficulties in her work. April 17, 1926 Discovery left Grytviken and sailed to the Falkland Islands before returning to Cape Town on June 29, taking five weeks to do Eastbound sailing in the stormy sea while conducting her research work. The difficulties encountered have led to Discovery be placed in a dry dock in the city of Simon naval base for three months, to be equipped with drainage keels in order to improve its stability. For the same reason, her fokbras and all the yards and stanchions on the main masts were removed to reduce weight, she rushes high and freezes the ship. Her donkey boiler installed in the tank was removed for the same reason.
Over the next season of work Discovery joined the brand new purpose-built steamboat research of the British government, in the RRS William Scoresby. She returned to southern Georgia on December 15, with her crew, finding changes that significantly improved her seaworthiness and reduced pronounced tilt. She conducted a plankton survey of the surrounding seas until February 1927, when she led the South Shetland Islands, where she conducted a program for tag whales in order to track their movements. Discovery visited Deception Island, which at that time served as a natural harbor for up to eight large whalers for further research. During the southern winter, the ship traveled down the coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, conducting a survey to draw in the correct navigation charts. Discovery Sound was investigated and interviewed for the first time and was named after the ship. She was at Cape Renard on March 24, before starting work on the north of False Island, still taking regular oceanographic studies and biological samples. Discovery was the first ship to take an oceanographic testimony in a stormy and dangerous Drake, including one station survey, just a few miles from Cape Horn. This sequence provided the missing data to build the first complete representation of the Antarctic currents. After securing the Off Hermitage Islands and the transit of La Mer, Discovery An anchor at Port Stanley on May 6, 1927. The final surveying trip was made back to Cape Town before the start of the expedition was concluded and Discovery sailed to England. She arrived in Falaete on September 29, 1927. Sidney Frederick Harmer called swimming “the most important scientific expedition that left our shores, since time Challenger .»
While Discovery was in the Southern Ocean, then the 1926 Imperial Conference addressed the issue of British imperial sovereignty in Antarctica. At that time, only two territories in the Antarctic were formally part of the British Empire - the Falkland Islands and Ross. The conference identified seven other parts of the continent, totaling more than 3 million square miles (8 million square kilometers), which could be claimed in the UK based on the first discovery. With the growing economic and strategic importance of Anartica and its waters, it was considered vital that the British demand be formalized. The expedition will be sent with officials authorized to claim land on behalf of the government, as well as conducting further surveys, reconnaissance and scientific work.The expedition will be a joint responsibiliy of Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand, thus becoming the British Australian and New Zealand Antarctic scientific expedition, often abbreviated as BANZARE.
The Australian government was to be responsible for the practical aspects of the expedition, led by the Australian National Research Council. SNRS identified Discovery as the only suitable vessel for the expedition. The ship was controlled by a committee for Discovery Research and owned by the Falkland Islands government, which initially did not want to part with the ship as their work was still ongoing. When the Norvegia expedition annexed Bouvet Island to Norway in December 1927, political pressure meant that it quickly organized for Discovery to rent to Australia for free. Antarctic veteran Douglas Mawson was placed as BANZARE leader, and he appointed John King Davis, of the Shackleton Nimrod Expedition, and Mawson of his own Australian Antarctic expedition as captain Discovery .
Discovery left London on August 1, 1929, carrying a complement of 25 officers and soldiers, some scientific equipment and a partially dismantled De Havilland DH.60 Moth light aircraft on deck, which was to be used for aerial shooting work. After loading coal and further deliveries to Cardiff, the ship headed for the Atlantic to follow the clipper route to Cape Town, where Mawson and the research staff (most of whom were Australia) would join the ship. Like Scott, and despite the changes made during the 1923 restructuring, Davis was not initially impressed Discovery like a sailing ship, finding her languid and awkward in the light winds of Doldrams and often unable to point closer than 75 degrees from the wind. He also fought against the crew’s inexperience, with none of the officers, and (despite his efforts) few of the crew experienced in ocean sailing ships. As with her previous captains, Davis's opinion of the ship changed when they reached strong winds at high latitudes. In a storm on October 1 Discovery was able to carry all its sails and was recorded as a journey at a speed of 10 knots. The ship reached Cape Town on October 5, making the trip three days less than she was on her first voyage under Scott.
Preparations for the expedition are actually included (after the experience of Stanhouse in the same waters) the removal of all yards from the mast of the ship, and taking down to the foreground br yards and storing them on the deck and lower the center of gravity, reduce the roll and, we hope to improve the performance during steaming. Two new boats, including a whaling motor, were added to the ship, as well as 40 tons of food and supplies, a library of 100 books, 2,000 cases of scientific equipment and more than 300 tons of coal. Twelve scientists, including zoologists, biologists, an ornithologist, cartographer and hydrologist, as well as Antarctic veteran photographer Frank Hurley also joined the ship here. Discovery left Cape Town on October 19 and is called Ile de la Time, then Kerguelen and Heard Islands - the latter reached November 26, with the parties going ashore to explore wildlife and conduct geographical research in every place. The weather was almost constantly stormy and after the departure of the Heard Island ship massed for three days of continuous drill. The weather calmed down when they headed south and on December 8 Discovery reached the Antarctic ice field and entered the ice pack three days later. The ship continued to work through a dense ice field, abundantly populated by penguins and seals. An aircraft equipped as a seaplane was used for reconnaissance and survey work, becoming the first aircraft to operate in Antarctica. Oceanographic work and trawls from marine life at various depths were done at regular intervals. The flight on January 1, 1930 with Mawson on board saw new lands and mountains, which were named Mac. Robertson Land. Davis refused to draw a ship nearby enough to land — an attitude that would be a constant source of conflict between the captain and Mawson. On January 4, the ship reached Kemp land, confirming its presence, as it had been invisible since its initial discovery in the 1830s. January 12th opening saw Enderby. The first approach to the shore was made the next day, with Union Jack landing on the island of Appeal by Mawson.
After two days detection faced her fellow expedition ship, Norvegia , is still engaged in similar research and territorial work on behalf of Norway. Mawson was sent regular radiograms informing the whereabouts of his rival. Norwegian leader, Rieser-Larsen, was received aboard Discovery . The longitude of the meeting - 44 ° 38'E - became the boundary between subsequent Australian and Norwegian territorial claims. After the ships parted Discovery 150 miles were swept west before a severe storm, once again impress those aboard its seaworthiness. Captain Davis beginnin to worry about his coal reserves, leading to more disagreement with Mawson, who refused to let up on the scientific work of the expedition, which to a large extent added to fuel consumption and distance traveled. Work back in the east of the expedition examined and photographed Cape Ann and confirmed that it would be the cape recorded by John Biscoe in 1831. The unknown crew of BANZAR, the Norwegians also made aerial photographs of the same point and came to the same conclusion, just a few weeks before. Since Davis still refuses to risk the ship closer to the shore, Mawson flew over Enderbit on January 25 and the second flag fell three miles (5 km) from the shore.
The next day, Davis reported to Mawson that there were only 120 tons of coal left in Discovery bins and that they had to turn home. Mawson felt that they should stay until they were up to 80 tons, given that despite eliminating some of her yards and rigging, Discovery was still fully capable of sailing. Davis was supported by W. Griggs, his engineer, who felt that boilers should be cleaned for three weeks. Reluctantly, Mawson agreed to head north. Some oceanographic work was carried out on the way back to Kerguelen, where 190 tons of coal were taken aboard and the boilers were washed. Severe weather means that Mawson had to abandon his Queen Mary Land cruise plans and instead Discovery conducted a month of biological and oceanographic work in the waters around the island, while she headed for Australia, reaching Adelaide on April 1, 1930.
The second year of research was allowed shortly after the return of the expedition and the interest-free loan of the British government in Discovery has been extended. Mawson was still on the team. Captain Davis showed no interest in returning to the second expedition, but personally recommended the first officer, Kenneth N. Mackenzie, as captain. The second expedition left Hobart on November 22, 1930. It carried 73 tons of supplies, which included 20 live sheep (placed in a pen on the top of the probing cutting winch) from a ton of feed. There was also two tons of butter plus an “electric cow” that would mix water and milk powder, six tons of potatoes, 7,800 eggs, half a ton of fresh meat in a chilled cabinet and 30 tons of fresh water (loaded on board from one hose on the pier). It also carried 430 tons of coal. With standard load Discovery usually drew 13 feet (4 m) of water, but on Hobart's exit she drew 19 feet (5.8 meters). Five days from the port of the expedition made its first discovery - under the ocean ridge, the height is 6,000 feet (1800 meters) from the flat seabed. It will be later established that part of the Macquarie fault zone. December 1, the ship anchored in Macquarie, where coastal parties were landed to study wildlife, inland lakes and plants while opening did sounding and research in coastal waters. On December 15, the expedition approached a whaling vessel to take on 100 tons of coal and 25 tons of fresh water - an operation that took 16 hours. Scientific records were made from whales being processed at floating bases while transmission was being carried out.
The expedition headed for a small strip of the famous coastline called Adele Earth, hoping to discover and claim land on both sides. The southern summer of 1930 turned out to be one of the very heavy ice, with 111 icebergs being seen from the ship on the same day (December 21) alone. Snow showers, fog and storms interfere with navigation, but on fine days Discovery can make about 150 miles a day, but during the Christmas period the ship was blocked in pack ice. Norwegian whale was met on December 29, which gave Discovery another 50 tons of coal. On December 31, the ship was struck by a severe storm with winds of up to 70 mph (Force 11 on the Beaufort scale). The ship was called up against the ice, and larger icebergs were blown onto the ship in the wind. For eight hours Discovery repeatedly crashed into thick ice and battered by the icebergs, but Mackenzie was able to slowly work the ship on the high seas using an engine and, despite the strong wind, sails. The ship found a safe anchor on the old site of Mawson base camp at Cape Denison, where the wind moderator is Forced 9. Here the magnetic field was taken for more than 18 hours, which was relocated to the south magnetic pole, and showed that it moved to the northwest, so as Mawson's previous testimony in 1913 on January 5, another flag landing ceremoy and proclamation was made, as Mawson claimed the recently surveyed coast, Cape Denison and all the land between the coast and the pole for the British Empire as George V. During the rest of the month Discovery continued to operate in the west, prevented by heavy ice from approaching closer than about 100 miles from the coast. Most of the survey and photographing work was carried out on an aircraft while on board the crew the team continued its oceanographic and biological work. The antenna team moved to the coast, originally found in the United States Exploring an expedition in 1840, and renamed it and the newly surveyed land around it, like the Banzare coast. Work is still often interrupted by storms and hurricanes that brought many large icebergs and ice fields around the ship.
February 11th as the weather and sea clear, allowing Discovery to the edge of less than 10 miles from the coast, which allows shooting with a ship and domestic aircraft flights. This land, completely unknown before the arrival of Banzare, was named the Land of Princess Elizabeth, who claimed using the flag to fall from the air. Murray Monolith was discovered and claimed a few days later. To date, the ship has returned to the coast of Mac. Robertson Land, which was scheduled last year. Now the conditions were right to send the party ashore to hold another landing flag ceremony. On February 18th, coal bunkers had only 100 tons of fuel left, which both Mawson and Mackenzie would agree to minimum for a return voyage. The next day Discovery hid in a leeward large iceberg while the bro yards were rigged into a ready-made ship for an ocean crossing. The first days in the north of the journey were in the mouth of another violent storm. With only two sails held on the mast Opening still an average of 8.5 knots (15.7 km per hour) over 24 hours, on the high seas with waves more than 100 feet (35 meters) high and with ridges 1300 feet (400 m) apart. In his diary entries these days, Mackenzie called Discovery “My wonderful little ship.” The weather is weakened after three days and Discovery returned to Hobart on March 19, 1931, breaking 10,557 miles (17,000 km) since she left.
The ship and most of its crew were still forced to return to England. He did this with the traditional clipper route through Cape Horn, which was rounded on June 1, she returned to her usual berth in East India dock on August 1, 1931, exactly two years after her departure.
Boy Scouts / Cadet Marine Corps
Returning to England, her study of the days had already ended. Like the British Government William Scoresby RRS, there was also a brand new steamboat available for research. The RRS Discovery II was launched in 1929, partly by the Discovery Committee tide (continues to continue research on whales and the ocean began in 1923 - will not conclude research at Discovery until 1951), when the original Discovery undertook in Banzare, but also in recognition of the age of the original vessel. She currently had 30 years of hard work in some of the harshest seas in the world. Its limitations, not being originally intended for scientific research work on the high seas, were clear - despite the improvement, it was still slowly, heavily and obviously prone to rolling. Like Davis and Mackenzie, it was found that it was increasingly difficult to find a crew with sufficient experience for a person of traditional sailing ships and when used exclusively as a steamer Discovery lacked engine power and bunker for the required operation.
In the years after her return from Australia Discovery was laid-back and offered for charter. Several proposed expeditions either proposed a ship (often with almost no charge) or expressed interest in using it, but not one was realized. Either the expedition failedd to raise the necessary funds during the Great Depression or the organizers believed that Discovery unsuitable for their own purposes.
At Crown Agents, a statutory corporation that was the ultimate legal owner of the ship took steps to sell or dispose of the ship in 1935. Two members of the Discovery Committee worked to find means to ensure the survival of the ship and recognition of its national importance. The solution was found in 1936 when it was introduced by the Scout Association as a static training ship for marine scouts in London. It was stored at the pier in central London on Victoria Embankment near Westminster Bridge.
During the Second World War Discovery served as the headquarters and depot of the ship on the emergency river, a first-aid network of stations and using requesitioned pleasure craft "Floating amblulances. In 1941, a barrage balloon tore apart the berths and became entangled in the main course of the ship raye. When the balloon was cut it was found that the yard was rotten and all the yards and spars were removed. Her boilers and cars were removed in 1943. It was previously thought that they were decommissioned to provide material for military purposes, but in 2016 a 1943 ad was found on a rescue company offering the entire contents of the engine room The ship was sold as a single batch, and the equipment was removed for reuse, although its fate is unknown. To maintain the skin and stability of the ship with the loss of its car, the hold and shaft of the tunnel were filled with ballast in the form of small rocks (pebbles). Former space engine became a badge and a boiler room and coal bunkers became a class. During the UK festival in the summer of 1951 (held at South Bank just across the river from Discovery mooring), the ship passed an exhibition on Antarctica and the history of its research. This required the opening of a large portion of the existing crew quarters, as public exhibition spaces and former water tanks were removed and replaced by new quarters of the crew.
In the 1950s, an aging ship was too expensive for the Scout Association to keep it transferred to the Admiralty in 1954 and officially commissioned by HMS Discovery for use as a drill vessel for the Royal Naval Reserve Volunteer and support service Royal Naval, as well as a training ship for the Westminster Naval Cadet Corps.RN carried out another refit, which saw almost all of the remaining rooms and fittings from the original 1900 ship assembly and 1923 Vospers restored deleted or reconstructed. In 1960, after the reform of the reserve of power, HMS Discovery became part of the newly merged Royal Naval Reserve and was the flagship of Admiral Commanding, reserves, thus becoming one of the two sailing ships to buy the White Ensign and giving the admiral a flag for the 20th century along with HMS Victory. The navy supported the ship, but this was rarely in order, primarily related to the preservation of its historical fabric or its integrity as a sailing ship, and how a wooden ship passed its 70th birthday (40 years moored in the Thames without docking) her condition worsened. When no longer out of use of the IUD, she was in danger of being disposed of. The sea trust, in whose care she passed in 1979, saved her from the yard of the circuit breakers. Her future is secured; she is moored first on the River Thames next to the HMS chrysanthemum and HMS the president and then to St. Katarina docks. During this time, she remained at home and in the training ship at Westminster Naval Cadet Corps. Despite significant surface wear and some rotten wood in its outer and upper body, Discovery it was found that the sound is below the waterline and structurally solid. She returned to the designation Royal Research Ship (RRS) and was opened to the public as a museum. The Maritime Cadet block eventually moved to the coastal premises in Pimlico, located in the converted basement of the local council estate. Maritime Trust spent around £ 500,000 on a substantial recovery until it became the property of Heritage Trust Dundee in 1985.
Discovery Point, Dundee
Since March 28, 1986 Discovery left London aboard a cargo ship Happy mariner to make her journey home to the city that built her. She arrived on the Togo River on April 3 - the first time she has been back to Dundee since its construction. Moved to a custom built dock in 1992, Discovery It is currently the central attraction for visitors to the Dundee Discovery Point. It is displayed in a purpose-built docks, in a configuration as close to it as possible in 1923, when it was converted into a VOSPER courtyard in Portsmouth. She is listed as part of the National Historical Fleet. Discovery Point is a fully accredited museum and has received many national awards, and is also a 5 - star rated tourist attraction with Visit Scotland. In 2008 , Discovery and related polar collections were named as recognized collections of national importance.
Since 1990, the Discovery Point Museum has focused on interpreting the ship for all of its voyages, with personal belongings from the crew of the ship, as well as information about its scientific activities. Items range from games played by the team on their first expedition to marine fauna examples. Star objects on the screen, including Captain Scott's rifles and trumpets. Her three main voyages, then the national Antarctic expedition (1901-1904), then the Discovery of the oceanographic expedition (1925-1927) and the BANZARE expedition (1929-31), were all explored in the museum through film and photo materials with artifacts from each era represented. The museum also has other excerpts from subsequent Scott Terra nova Shackleton expeditions and endurance expeditions.
There were three subsequent royal research vessels called Discovery RRS Discovery II (1929) and the third name RRS Discovery (1962). Fourth ship current RRS Discovery , which was built in 2013.
Spaceship Discovery One in Arthur C. Clarke's book 2001: A Space Odyssey was named Clark after the RRS Discovery Clark was eating his lunch aboard her when she was moored near the office where he worked in London.