In this article, we will talk about the Karelian city with the interesting name of Lahdenpohja. Sights of this area attract tourists from all over the country simply because the village has an unusual name. Looking ahead, it is worth saying that today it is an unremarkable town. But there are still interesting objects.
Lahdenpohja - brief information about the city
The city is the administrative center of the homonymous (Lahdenpohsky) district - the most southwestern in Karelia. It is located on the shore of the Yakimvar Bay of Lake Ladoga on the Aura-Yoki River, which is 300 km from Petrozavodsk. The name of the settlement literally translates as “the far corner, the end of the bay.” Until 1924, the city was called Si eklahti, that is, "Sieve Bay".
According to 2010 data, about 8,000 people live in Lahdenpohja. Its area is only 9 square kilometers.
First you should get acquainted with the city of Lahdenpohja - the sights will wait a bit. Its foundation dates back to the 16th century, when the settlement of Yakkim was settled here. In those days, the northwestern Ladoga area was part of the Bogoroditsky Kiryazhsky graveyard of the Karelian district of Pyatina Novgorod Novgorod.
Then, in the year 24 of the last century, the village of Lahdenpohja appeared at this place. He received the title of city only during the USSR, in 1945. Simultaneously with this event, the formation of the Lahdenpohsky region took place.
Going deeper into the history of Lahdenpohja, some points can be emphasized. In 1323, Karelia was divided into two parts. This is the first border between the Swedish state and the Russian Empire, which could have official status. But already in the XV century, the territory became fully owned by Russia. True, not for long: a century later, when the Russian-Swedish war broke out, Karelia retreated to the Swedes, the victorious side. A little later, the Russian army liberated the territory. This happened in 1721.
In 1918, Karelia was again taken away - this time the Finns. The republic returned to the USSR only after 1940, when the Russo-Finnish war ended. Here is such an interesting story. And the sights of Lahdenpohja are also attractive. Although there are very few.
One of the most interesting places is an abandoned bunker.
In Lahdenpohja, the sights are divided into “frequent” and “rarely visited”. One of the last is an abandoned bunker. Its authors are the Americans who designed the secret underground shelter in the 1930s, specially commissioned by the Finns. Now this place is abandoned, but it is very attractive for tourists and locals. Therefore, in order to explore the whole city, it is worth getting into this place as well.
G. Lahdenpohja - “protected Russia”
The most attractive natural attraction of the Lahdenpoh region is Kuhkaa. This is a picturesque island, which is famous for its sandy beaches and is perfect for a relaxing holiday. Especially for those people who like to be among nature.
On Lake Yastrebin, which is a natural monument and part of the "reserved Russia", tourists can admire the large rocks. This place is located on the border of Karelia and the Leningrad region. The object is a rock mass of approximately 60 meters in height, which seems to hang over the lake. Climbing competitions are held here, and those who are not fond of this sport can just relax - clean air and a pleasant landscape are always beneficial.
The city of Lahdenpohja, the sights of which were considered in this article, is a truly unremarkable settlement. But if one day fate brings you to this corner of Russia, you should not waste time in vain - it is better to visit popular places, especially since there are few of them.
Legends of the Lahdenpoh Land
"Their bodies were huge, and their faces were so different from ordinary human faces that it was amazing to see them, and it was scary to hear them say."
Roman historian Josephus Flavius (1st century AD).
They say that in prehistoric, antediluvian times, metelilyinens or munkkilainen lived on these lands - giants of terrible power, which over time were replaced by Lapps and Finns. There is a legend that is very popular in Ladoga.
The giantess girl (a snowstorm) accidentally met in the forest a stranger who plowed the land on a horse. The stranger was small and did not at all resemble the relatives of a girl. She decided to tell everything to her father, and he asked to show him a stranger. When his father saw him himself, he said: "We will have to leave here and leave the land to the aliens."
Interestingly, such legends are spread all over the north, and among the southern peoples these lands have always been associated with the "land of giants." There are also unusual archaeological finds - bones and skulls of huge sizes, footprints, cave paintings.
Sights of the Lahdenpoh region
The main tourist attraction of this region lies in its nature. First of all, it is Lake Ladoga, the largest in Europe. In addition to the incredible beauty of the surrounding landscape, this place has historical value, it is mentioned in many old Russian chronicles.
Separately, we need to talk about Ladoga skerries - a labyrinth of 3,000 islands, between which rocks and stone ranges are abundant. Many ships sank in these waters, and all because of the insidiousness of Ladoga, which is deep-water on one side and shallow-water on the other side. There are seven “Specially Protected Areas-Reserves” in the Ladoga area.
There are man-made sights. For example, the Suur-Mikli shelter-castle, erected in the period of IX-XIV centuries. The settlement is considered one of the oldest on this earth, and it was built to protect against Varangian raids. It was located near the village of Mikli.
Another of the region’s most famous attractions is the Lutheran Church, or rather its ruins. It was erected in 1850, but in 1977 the building was badly damaged during a fire. Yet the ruins give a good idea of Lutheran-Protestant architecture.
Another church is located in the village of Lumivaara and was built in 1935 on top of Mount Rokkapata. The building is in disrepair and needs repair, but you can still climb the bell tower, which offers a magnificent view of the northern beauties. Other attractions of the Lahdenpoh district include:
- Mount Eagle Owl (War Museum).
- Monument to Finnish soldiers who died in 1918.
- Church of Elijah the Prophet (ancient Orthodox church).
- Koyonsaari Island (a great place to relax).
Be sure to visit this region and enjoy its secrets! At our recreation center “Lumivaara” you can not only relax on the lake in a cozy cottage, but also see many interesting and mysterious places of antiquity, which are not far from our camp site!
Until 1924, the place was called in Finnish sources Sieklahti ("Sieve Bay") and was part of the village of Yakkim (also Yakima), in Russian sources the place until 1918 was called Yakimvar station or Yakimvara station (also from the name of the village of Yakima). In 1924, it was allocated into an independent village of Lahdenpohja. In its name, fin is distinguished. lahti - "bay" and Karelian. pohja - “the far corner, the end of the bay, the bay”, literally: “the edge of the bay”, which indicates that the city is really located deep in the bay of Lake Ladoga (the end or the far corner of the bay).
Geography edit |Kurkiyok Local History Center
The museum tells the story of the Northern Ladoga. The purpose of the museum is to study the features of nature and the history of the Lahdenpoh district. Particular attention is paid to the study of the history of Orthodoxy in these lands.
The museum is located in a wooden building of the 19th century, which stands next to the ancient settlement of the 12-14th century. The house has historical significance. Here lived and worked as a biologist, Dr. Veli Ryasyanen, who described 356 species of lichens. His contemporaries gave the scientist the nickname - King of Lichens.
Near the house there is an arboretum laid by him. Lichens still occupy most of the exposure. The museum tells about folk recipes for dishes and medicinal fees from lichens. The Kurkiyok Museum is sometimes called Lichen Museum.
Kirche was built in 1935 on the top of Mount Rokkapat under the direction of architect Ilmari Launis.
The church is currently in need of repair.
But you can go inside and climb the bell tower, the views from which are very picturesque.
Complex reserve “Western archipelago”
Located on the northwest coast of Lake Ladoga and small islands. Designed to preserve the population of gull birds and protect a large number of rookeries of the Ladoga seal. The reserve is allowed to fish.
They usually go here in boats to observe the Ladoga seal, who plays and dives directly overboard, as well as for fishing from the Lahdenpohja promenade. On the way to the reserve you can see the coastal fjords near Lahdenpohja.
Aerial view of Lahdenpohja: