Travel

Eski Jami Mosque (eski camii) on Edirne landmark map (Turkey)

Pin
Send
Share
Send


The oldest building in Edirne and at the same time its main attraction can be called Eski Jami or as it is also called the Old Mosque. It is located slightly below the Selimiye Mosque and at first glance it is a very strange building (at first resembling something agricultural). This architectural monument deserves to be admired by its impressive marble entrance and beautiful fountains. The construction of this mosque, located on Khuriyet Square, began in 1403, by order of the emir Suleiman Celebi, and was completed in 1414 during the reign of his son - Sultan Mehmed Celebi (Celebi is translated as "applicant").

Eski Jami was built in the style traditional for the early Ottoman architecture under the guidance of architect Haji Aladdin from Konya from hewn limestone, sometimes supplemented by an alternation of layers of stone and brick, characteristic of ancient architecture.

In its appearance, the mosque resembles the architecture of Bursa. The building is crowned by nine semicircular domes. Oddly enough, only one of the domes has a light window. Opposite the mosque, there is a 14-domed indoor market (poor) built from red and white stone in the years 1417-1418 by the same architect.

The mosque has two adjacent minarets. It is a square building with four columns and was erected after the model and likeness of the Byzantine church. Behind the mosque, there are two tombstones: one small one - near the grave of the wife of the Ottoman sultan Bayazid II (1481-1512), who was overthrown by the youngest son Selim I of Grozny (1512-1520), who became famous for his cruelty in the Ottoman Empire. Another monument, revered by the people as a shrine to this day, is dedicated to Mehmed Bey.

The interior of the mosque combines plant vignettes and Arabic inscriptions, a stunning combination of red and white vaults, which are, as it were, applied on top of everything with a mascara brush. Its columns are clearly of ancient Roman origin. Most likely, at this place once upon a time there was a certain ancient structure, partially destroyed later. Some of the surviving elements of this building are an organic part of Eski Jami.

On the end wall of the mosque there is an "Ottoman swan" - a symbol of faith, next to which there is an inscription: "There is no God but Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet!"

The oldest mosque in the city

👁 Book a hotel as always at the booking? In the world, it’s not only Booking that exists (🙈 for horseback rates from hotels — we pay!) I have been practicing Rumguru for a long time, it’s really more profitable than 💰💰 Booking.

👁 Do you know tripster? 🐒 This is the evolution of city tours. VIP guide - a city dweller, will show the most unusual places and tell urban legends, tried it, it's fire 🚀! Prices from 600 r. - they will definitely please 🤑

👁 Best search engine Runet Yandex ❤ began selling air airline tickets! 🤷

Sabuni Mahalle, Talat Paşa Caddesi 22100 Edirne

In the very center of the city - or rather, this mosque sets the city center

Photo

The construction of this mosque began in 1403 by order of the emir Suleiman Celebi and was completed in 1414 during the reign of Sultan Mehmed Celebi. The square building with nine domes and four columns was built in the traditional Ottoman style by the architect Haji Aladdin from Konya from hewn limestone, sometimes complemented by an alternation of layers of stone and brick, characteristic of Byzantine architecture. Of particular interest are the large black calligraphic inscriptions on the white walls of the prayer hall. The building has been restored several times.

This is a description of the attractions of Eski Jami Mosque in Edirne, Edirne (Turkey). As well as photos, reviews and a map of the surroundings. Find out the history, coordinates, where it is and how to get there. Check out other places on our interactive map, get more detailed information. Get to know the world better.

Architecture

Eski Saray settlement (since 1948 - Coin, now abolished) was once the possession of the Kalgi Sultan. Presumably, there was a mint and a palace complex, which gave the name to the settlement (Eski Sarai translated from Tatar - old palace) To date, neither the palace nor the mint have been preserved. However, the Eski-Saray mosque remained, which was probably built not far from the palace. It belongs to the XIV-XV centuries. The ruins next to the mosque may be remnants of a palace or mint.

The ruins of the village of Eski-Saray were first mentioned in the work of P. S. Pallas, "Observations made during a trip to the southern governorates of the Russian state in 1793-1794." P.I. Sumarokov in the composition "Leisure of the Crimean judge or the second trip to Taurida" in 1803 mentioned the empty mosque Eski-Saray. In his opinion, this is the Ak-Mosque, which gave the name to the medieval Simferopol.

In 1923, the mosque was studied by Professor P.V. Nikolsky. According to his records, at that time the building was decorated with a dome, which has not survived to our time. In Soviet times, there were several attempts to restore the mosque. In 1969, work was carried out to preserve the ruined monument: cracks were injected, masonry in the lower row of windows was partially restored, the walls were reinforced with a reinforced concrete belt.

Architecture

The mosque is a building in the form of two squares: a large one with a side length of about 12.7 m and a small one with a side length of about 6 m. Initially, these were two domed mosques with separate entrances. On the northwest side are the ruins of the minaret.

The walls of the structure, made of fine-grained sandstone, are quite thick (up to 125 cm). Structural and decorative elements are made of limestone. The main entrance, located on the north side, is made in the form of a pointed arch. Outside on the northern facade there is a niche in the form of a mihrab. It was probably intended for those who performed namaz in the open. Each of the walls of the mosque (except the eastern one) has 5 windows: 2 square on the first level, 2 semicircular on the second and a round window in the central part of the third level.

A small mosque, according to one version, was intended for women. According to another version, it served as a sultan's lodge, where a kalga-sultan could perform namaz, listening to the clergy of a large mosque through a window opening with a grill in the common wall.

The dome of the small mosque was supported through sails on three external walls 90 cm thick and on the adjacent wall of the large mosque. The domed ceiling, like that of a large mosque, was composed of light porous tuff. The main dome rested on a low octagonal drum. The transition from the quadruple to the drum is through high sails. They began at the lower tier of windows, were fixed with supporting stones, and closed at the top in the form of arches. In the south wall there is a mihrab decorated with carvings in the style of Seljuk ornamentation. The interior on the entrance side, presumably, housed wooden choirs for women, as indicated by the nests in the masonry of the northern wall.

Professor P.V. Nikolsky wrote about the mosque: "... it is an interesting example of the borrowing of architectural forms, which exists everywhere and which is especially characteristic of Muslim art, which developed Byzantine, Persian and Egyptian forms in architecture and ornamentism". Crimean researcher F. F. Lashkov called this mosque the best in the Crimea and considered it to be “reminiscent of azizi"(That is, dyurbe on the azazes).

By order of the Government of the Russian Federation of October 17, 2015 No. 2073-r, the Eski-Saray mosque was recognized as an object of cultural heritage of federal significance.

Pin
Send
Share
Send