"In Zakret, behind the Junkers College, on the road on a small hill there is a stone chapel surrounded by a fence. Under this chapel Natalia Aleksandrovna, the wife of the first Vilensky governor-general, Field Marshal Repnin Nikolai Vasilievich (1734-1801), who died in Vilna, 96, is buried. year.
The chapel is run by the Holy Spirit Monastery, and the capital of 2500 rubles was bequeathed to the monastery for its repair and commemoration of the deceased members of the family of Princes Repnins. "Until 1812 there was an icon of the Resurrection of Christ, painted by the famous Polish artist, founder of Lithuanian painting Francis Smuglevich (1745 -1807).
After World War I, a cemetery formed around the chapel, where Russian, German, Polish, Austrian, Hungarian and Turkish soldiers are buried. After World War II, Jewish graves appeared here. All burials in the cemetery in the city park of Vingis are kept in proper order and the modern pointer resembles the Repninskaya Chapel.
Photo and description
The Orthodox Repninskaya chapel was built in the Vilnius suburb of Zakrete in 1797. In the 18th century, people who died from epidemic diseases were buried here. The wife of Field Marshal Prince N.V. Repnin, the first Vilnius Governor-General, Princess Natalia Alexandrovna Repnina, nee Kurakina, was also buried here. The chapel was erected in memory of her, at the place of her burial.
The building was built in the neoclassical style, under the guidance and project of architects Pietro Rossi and Karl Schildhaus. It is not certain whether the design of the chapel was known to be their joint creation, or if only one of them was the author, namely Karl Schildhaus, who later was involved in the restoration of the chapel.
In 1809, the chapel was restored. Around it a half meter fence was built. Prince Repnin bequeathed 2,500 rubles to the Holy Spirit Monastery, which was in charge of the chapel. The money was intended to support the temple and to commemorate the deceased members of the Repnin family. Francis Smuglevich, a famous artist, founder of the Lithuanian school of painting, was involved in decorating the chapel. He is famous for his watercolor cycle of 1785 - “Architectural Views of Old Vilnius” and wonderful frescoes on biblical scenes that still adorn the interior and ceilings in the library of Vilnius University. Unfortunately, the icon of the Resurrection of Christ, which he painted for the chapel, was stolen in 1812, during the French occupation.
In 1817, the chapel was again renovated. In 1847, an iron cross weighing 1 pound was cast on the chapel, cast especially for this purpose. At the beginning of the 20th century, in order to reduce pressure on the chapel and, at the same time, improve the acoustics of the room, four voices were mounted in the dome of the chapel.
After World War I, a cemetery was formed near the chapel. Russian, Hungarian, German, Austrian, Turkish, and Polish soldiers were buried on it. After World War II, Jewish graves also appeared in the cemetery near the chapel. All these graves in the cemetery of the Repninskaya chapel from the city park of Vingis continue to be kept in proper order.
The chapel is a stone structure made in the style of neoclassicism. It is a square structure in plan, with a gable, symmetrical, tiled roof, onto which a four-pointed cross is open. Facades from the west and east are decorated with triangular pediments, and half-columns painted white that imitate Tuscan porticoes. The walls of the building are plastered and painted in pastel, peach color. The corners of the southern and northern facades are decorated with paired pilasters.
The front door of the chapel is framed by a rectangular opening with a white border, like the columns. On both sides of the door there are arched windows with white bordering. The interior of the chapel is modest, designed in the same style as the design as a whole. In the very center of the chapel is a crypt in the shape of a coffin with the ashes of Princess Repnina. On the right side of the entrance is a grave, a cast-iron plate of which indicates that Colonel Pavel Gavrilovich Bibikov, who heroically died in 1812 in the battles for Vilna, was buried there. Opposite the entrance, on the far wall of the chapel there is an icon of the Savior.
The chapel, as it should be constructions of this kind, is located in a quiet, peaceful place. Around the chapel is a park with large, old trees. It seems that the chapel guards the peace and solitude of all souls who have found the last refuge near it.
The historical monument "Repninskaya Chapel" is protected by the state. Access to the chapel is currently closed.